Strategy, Technology, and Current Issues in the
Energy Overview / Current Issues in Energy
Susan Smith Nash, Ph.D.
Environmental challenges in the Energy Industry /
Oil and Gas Exploration
Concerns about spills, emissions, and pollution of aquifers has
made environmental protection a hot button issue, with numerous
activists and activist groups. New regulations make obtaining
permits, and also compliance quite difficult.
Environmental concerns include (but are not confined to) the
• Noise pollution and negative electromagnetic
fields around wind farms;
• Water usage which exacerbates shortages during
a drought (hydraulic fracturing, etc.)
• Disposing of flowback and produced water
• Hydraulic fracturing: ground water pollution
plus induced seismicity
• Oil spills
• Workplace accidents and catastrophic
• Infrastructure impacts on the
environment: high-voltage cross-country electricity
transmission line, pipeline through wilderness areas and fragile
• Induced seismicity due to injection of water
• Toxic elements used in solar photovoltaic
Water Processing Options / Approaches (Lewis Environmental
Environmental Impact by Energy Source
Energy and Environment: Challenges and Opportunities
How can environmental issues impact an energy company?
What are some of the most publicized environmental issues?
Name a few examples.